Islington Council consults on new Traveller site amid opposition
Plans for Aubert Court estate draw 1,800 petition signatures and claims of intimidation.
Incident → evidence → outcomeIslington Council is proposing to create a new Gypsy and Traveller site on a section of the Aubert Court estate. The plans have prompted opposition from some residents, who have launched a petition that has gathered 1,800 signatures. However, members of the Traveller community involved in the proposal have reported feeling intimidated by the campaign against the site.
The proposal aims to provide permanent pitches for the Gypsy and Traveller community, who currently have no permanent sites within the borough. The plan involves utilising a small, disused green space on the Aubert Court estate. Some Travellers currently residing in social housing on or near the estate have expressed a desire to move into caravans on the proposed site, thereby freeing up council homes.
Resident Opposition and Traveller Concerns
The petition, organised by a group calling themselves ‘Friends of Aubert Park’, argues that the plans are unsuitable due to the scarcity of green spaces in Islington. The petition states: “We support the need to provide suitable accommodation for Gypsy and Traveller families, but this should not come at the cost of one of Islington's scarce parks.”
Lisa Casey, 58, a member of the Traveller community, told the Local Democracy Reporting Service that some residents had been warned they would be “overrun with Travellers and feral children”. Ms Casey, who was born in the borough, stated that the land in question is disused and only accessible to residents. She added, “We’re taking a small portion of it. Why can’t we live within the community?” She also mentioned experiencing abuse and vandalism in the past related to previous pitch site discussions.
Mena Mongan from the advocacy group London Gypsies and Travellers said her organisation had received contact from local residents who believed the objections were motivated by “pure discrimination”. Ms Mongan described the opposition campaign as presenting “deep opposition” by gathering numerous comments without full consideration of the consequences for the individuals involved. She highlighted that suicide rates among Gypsies and Travellers are significantly higher than in the general population.
Council's Legal Obligation and Consultation Process
Islington Council has a legal obligation under the Housing Act 2004 to identify and meet the accommodation needs of Gypsies and Travellers. A spokesperson for Islington Council stated: "Islington is proud of its diversity and committed to meeting the housing needs of all communities, including Gypsy and Traveller residents. This is extremely challenging in a high-density borough like Islington which has very limited land for development."
The consultation period for the proposed site closed on August 18, though the council is accepting late representations until September 1. Following the review of all responses, the plans will be presented to an independent Planning Inspector. Friends of Aubert Park had not responded to requests for further comment at the time of publication.
Questions this report answers
01What is Islington Council proposing for the Aubert Court estate?
Islington Council is proposing to create a new Gypsy and Traveller site on a portion of the Aubert Court estate. This plan aims to provide permanent pitches for the community, some of whom currently live in social housing in the area.
02What has been the reaction to the proposed Traveller site?
The proposal has faced opposition, with a petition from 'Friends of Aubert Park' gathering 1,800 signatures. Members of the Traveller community have also stated they feel intimidated by the opposition campaign.
03What is the council's legal responsibility regarding Gypsy and Traveller accommodation?
Under the Housing Act 2004, Islington Council has a legal obligation to identify and meet the accommodation needs of Gypsies and Travellers. The borough faces challenges due to its high density and limited land for development.
04When will a decision be made on the proposed site?
The consultation period for the proposed site closed on August 18, with late representations accepted until September 1. The council is currently reviewing responses, and the plans will later be assessed by an independent Planning Inspector.
Support is available without a police report
Find London services, specialist support and the rights set out in the Victims’ Code. If someone is in immediate danger, call 999.
Find victim supportSend a correction or case update
If a hearing, charge or outcome has changed, send the court, case number and source document so we can update the record.
Contact the deskContinue the investigation
Community SafetyWandsworth Council pays £500 over delayed housing for mum
Community SafetyBetting shop wins appeal against Lewisham Council
Community SafetyHackney Mayor Garbett faces £53m budget gap
Community SafetySouthwark night patrol extended to 2027 with £600,000 boost
Community SafetyMet Police block Tooting shop's bid to sell alcohol until 2am