Simon Levy denies attacking Belmarsh prison officer with pen
Whole-life prisoner charged with assault and strangulation after incident in February at HMP Belmarsh
Incident → evidence → outcomeSimon Levy, who is serving a whole-life sentence for the murders of two women in Tottenham, appeared via videolink at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday to deny charges of assaulting a prison officer. The 41-year-old is accused of stabbing Paul Dunne with a pen and attempting to strangle him during an incident at HMP Belmarsh on 18 February.
Prosecutor David Burns, as reported by the Evening Standard, told the court that Levy attacked Dunne at the end of a meeting. Burns said Levy stabbed the officer multiple times in the arm and neck with a pen before grabbing him around the throat and tightening his grip. Dunne fell to the floor during the alleged assault.
Case sent to Crown Court
Deputy Chief Magistrate Tan Ikram sent the case to Inner London Crown Court for trial. A hearing has been scheduled for 14 September. Levy’s lawyer, Jason Lartey, told the court his client denies assaulting the officer or grabbing him around the throat.
Levy was sentenced to a whole-life term last week for the murders of Carmenza Valencia-Trujillo, 53, and Sheryl Wilkins, 39. The killings occurred in Tottenham last year, following a series of sexual assaults on the London Underground and the rape of a woman in a car park. At the time of the alleged attack on Dunne, Levy was in custody awaiting trial for those offences.
What happens next
The case will proceed to trial at Inner London Crown Court on 14 September. No further hearings have been publicly confirmed. The court has not yet set a date for Levy’s trial on the new charges.
Questions this report answers
01What is Simon Levy charged with?
Simon Levy is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and intentional strangulation. The prosecution alleges he stabbed prison officer Paul Dunne with a pen and attempted to strangle him at HMP Belmarsh on 18 February.
02When is the trial for the Belmarsh assault case?
The trial is scheduled to begin at Inner London Crown Court on 14 September. The case was sent there after Levy denied the charges at Westminster Magistrates’ Court on Monday.
03What sentence is Simon Levy already serving?
Simon Levy is serving a whole-life sentence for the murders of two women in Tottenham last year. He was sentenced last week and will never be released from prison.
04Who is the alleged victim in the Belmarsh case?
The alleged victim is prison officer Paul Dunne. The prosecution claims Levy attacked Dunne during a meeting at HMP Belmarsh, stabbing him with a pen and attempting to strangle him.
Support is available without a police report
Find London services, specialist support and the rights set out in the Victims’ Code. If someone is in immediate danger, call 999.
Find victim supportSend a correction or case update
If a hearing, charge or outcome has changed, send the court, case number and source document so we can update the record.
Contact the deskContinue the investigation
CourtsWoolwich manslaughterer faces early release under new law
CourtsVardo Restaurant fined £75,705 after child’s foot crushed in window
CourtsKevin Kelenda loses murder appeal, 17-year minimum term stands
CourtsSimon Levy jailed for life for murders of two women in London
